Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fitting the Pieces


Throughout the course I am taking with Walden University on Learning Theories, I have gained a deeper understanding of how human learning is conducted and the importance of the application of this knowledge.  In the first week of the course, I identified my learning mainly through behaviorism versus cognitivism and constructivism.  At that point, we had not explored some of the later learning theories and I therefore did not consider them in my writings and reflection.  Since working through more learning theories, including social learning, connectivism, and adult learning, I understand my learning preferences and can discuss them within the context of instructional design.  It is clear to me that at times I have and continue to embody all of these theories depending on the learning goal and the learning environment. 

Educreations - this is the picture I took with my phone.
My learning preferences tend towards social learning influences, mainly due to the credible sources I have found in my family and peers.  That influence extends into connectivism, where I seek and connect networks for information and knowledge about technology trends and education.  An effective and well-versed instructional designer must be able to understand and apply learning theory to craft content and online environments.  Without these tools in a designer’s repertoire, the designer will force participants through learning objectives and practicing learning methods, which will not produce the best results.

Technology is a lifeline for my learning and understanding of new material.  When I am working to learn a new Web 2.0 tool, or organizing my calendar I use technology.  Although I am an older member of the “digital natives” category, my work with Instructional Technology has put me firmly into the “plugged-in” demographic.  Whether through my iPhone, ipad, or laptop, I have constant connection to emails, text messages, news, information, and a social learning network.  Last week, as I worked with a teacher at her school building in her online classroom, I came across an issue I could not resolve.  My first step to solving the issue was to make a Google search.  This turned up information, but nothing that solved the issue at hand.  I then texted a co-worker with the question.  He in turn, was able to log into the teacher’s class and realized that the issue was that her role in the class did not give her the ability to perform the task she desired.  A few minutes later, the issue was resolved.  During that same session, she introduced me to a new iPad application and website that allows the user to create a whiteboard recording.  This is a terrific tool that I wanted to remember to try out later.  In order to remind myself about the program, I took a picture of the website with my phone and created a quick reminder to test the program out later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment